Treatment varies depending on the individual and the tumor. Treatments include:
- Enucleation – removal of eye for large melanoma
- Plaque radiotherapy – focal radiation using a small device that is surgically implanted and left in place for 4-7 days. Successful with tumor control in 98%. Risks for vision loss.
- Surgical resection – removal of tumor but cutting the eye open to enter the eye and remove the melanoma.
- Transpupillary thermotherapy – used in conjunction with plaque for tumor consolidation or used alone for tiny melanomas. Type of laser treatment.
- Laser photocoagulation – used to protect vision
- Medicine injection – used to protect vision