Welcome New Patients
The following information is important for your visit. Please read.
Difficulties with the website? Direct your questions to email@example.com
Important Information For Your Visit
• Your visit will be 6-8 hours long.
• Your eyes will be dilated (driving a vehicle is at your own risk)
• You will have a series of diagnostic testing.
• There will be a period of waiting between testing.
• You may eat breakfast and take medications.
• You may, and we encourage you to, bring a lunch.
• No surgical procedures will be performed on your initial visit.
• All copays, deductibles, and/or fees must be paid by credit or debit card only.
Before You Leave Home You Will Need
• A hotel or place to stay.
• Finances for your visit and finances for surgery. (All copays, deductibles, and/or fees must be paid by credit or debit card only.)
• Finances to use while you are here.
• Transportation arrangements.
• Send all testing to us prior to your visit.
• Current, valid insurance card(s)
• Valid insurance referral/valid out of network authorization for your exam visit and testing.
• Glasses if they have been prescribed for you.
• Someone who can interpret English to your native language for you.
Let’s Prepare For Your Appointment
Reason For VisitClick to Expand
What is the reason for your upcoming appointment with us?
Please FILL OUT, PRINT, and BRING the following form with you to your appointment.
Patient Portal & Medical HistoryClick to Expand
Your medical history will need to be updated through our patient portal prior to your visit.
If you have accessed your patient portal previously, update your information here:
Activate Your Patient Portal:
Patient Information & History:
After you have your username and password for our patient portal, click the patient portal below and log in. A new screen will show tabs on the left side. You may review Contact Information and Insurance but CANNOT make changes. You will need to review the remaining tabs and make necessary changes, then click save & continue each time.
1.) Pharmacy: Click “Add Surescripts Pharmacy” and add your home pharmacy. If your pharmacy is not listed click “Add Manual Pharmacy.”
2.) Past History & Ocular History: Fill out information under both tabs by checking personally relevant boxes in each section.
3.) Medication: List all medications you are currently taking by typing them into the search bar and selecting them. Fill in all referring blanks such as frequency, date started, etc.
4.) Allergies: If applicable click “Add Allergies.” Search for and select any allergies that you have. You will need to describe the reaction, date when the allergy was recorded, and state if the allergy is still active.
Access Patient Portal:
Trouble accessing your Patient Portal? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Physical ExamClick to Expand
Should patients not have the physical form complete, it would delay any surgical procedure that may be required.
For a child, their pediatrician must complete the form prior to your initial visit.
TestingClick to Expand
You will need to have all the necessary testing completed prior to your visit:
• CBC with Differential (required for patients 21 years or older ) less than 30 days old (no fasting required.)
• Liver enzyme (LDH, SGOT, ALKP, GGT, SGPT) less than 30 days old
• EKG (required for patients 50 years or older) less than 6 months old
• EKG less than 30 days old and prior EKG to compare (if patient has a history of heart disease.) Cardiologist clearance for surgery may be required for certain conditions.
• New children with Retinoblastoma are required to get a hearing test and physical.
• CBC if on Chemo less than 30 days old.
Insurance AuthorizationClick to Expand
If insurance is not accepted, you will need an out of network authorization from your referring physician.
It is the patient’s responsibility to contact your insurance carrier regarding your benefits and to be sure that Shields & Shields (not Wills Eye) is in your network. If you find that we are not in your network, please give the following authorization letter to your referring doctor’s office to obtain an out of network authorization.
All out of state Medicaid insurances must have an out of network authorization AND a single case agreement.
We need all out of network authorizations to be done immediately, they take a few days to obtain! All authorizations must be given to our office by 3:00PM on the Thursday before your appointment. Please call our office immediately with your authorization number and information when obtained. You may contact Marie at 215-928-3105. If you come to Shields & Shields without your authorization or referral you will be considered self pay. We do not accept personal checks.
Insurance CPT CodesClick to Expand
Not sure of what CPT codes we use?